Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fallen (Part 12) - The Dream Mists

In the dim almost-darkness, there was nothing to see but endless mist and fog. She found herself walking aimlessly, her steps muffled in eerie silence. No, not quite aimlessly. But for what purpose she couldn’t remember.

“About time, paladin,” a gruff voice called out.

The voice echoed hollowly, unnatural even in the strange blanket of dream mist. She blinked. A shadow detached itself from the fog. From the darkness of an ornate, covered helm, a pair of glowing eyes glowered. Familiar eyes.

And in that instant, all the memories washed over her. She was not surprised when the figure removed the helm, revealing a face that was a reflection of her own.

The paladin nodded neutrally. “ ‘Twas hard findin me way through th’ bloody dream mists. Th’ lass was makin sure th’ sleepin draught would be keepin me asleep. Seein as how ye were tryin ta stir up mischief,” she added pointedly.

The death knight sighed. “Yes.”

She folded her arms and scowled. “I’m thinkin we agreed ye’d nae be tryin tha’ agin,” she growled.

The other dwarf mirrored back the same scowl. “That was before, paladin. Things are changing. Getting worse. Even with that salve, the fel energies are still building up. We don’t have time to sit back and wait for someone else to find a different solution.”

“So ye were explainin ta Lyir, aye. I’m rememberin tha’.” She had memory of that conversation now, though she had not technically been present at the time.

“It’s the easiest solution, paladin. Cut off the hand, cut me loose, and you’ll be free.”

“Aye,” she agreed. “But what o’ ye?”

The death knight rolled eyes impatiently at the gentle tone of that question. “What does that matter? I don’t belong here anyway,” she added darkly. “I knew where my choices would take me.”

For a silent moment they shared the death knight’s memories of those dark choices.

The paladin shook her head. “Has ta be ‘nother way…”

“WHAT other way? Face reality, paladin – I’m a damned soul! My fate was sealed the day they branded this thing on my hand!” The death knight threw off her left gauntlet and brandished the glowing demonic symbol in the paladin’s face. “Like it or not, Branwynne Stelhamor, I AM damned, and none of your oh-so-shiny goody-goody intentions can undo that!”

The paladin’s jaw set mulishly. “An’ I’m sayin there HAS ta be ‘nother way, ye pig-headed bloody fool o’ a dwarf! Yer jest set in yer ways, an’ nae willin ta look fer it! ‘Sides, ‘tis MY body, like Lyir was sayin, an’ I’m nae willin ta hae me hand cut off, an’ tha’s final!”

The pair bristled at each other with identical expressions of ire.

“Do you not listen? Or are you just stupid? The fel energies are building up! It’s like, like an infection, or a cancer – if you don’t get rid of it, it will rupture, it will spread.”

“So how can we be getting rid o’ the blighted energies, then?”

The death knight snorted. “The only way *I* know of to get rid of them is to USE them. And right now, Miss shiny paladin, that’s not exactly possible, is it?” She sneered at the paladin, expecting an explosion of dwarvish temper.

But the expression of the other turned suddenly pensive instead. “An’ iffen ye could?”

Glowing eyes blinked in confusion. “…what?”

“If ye could bleed off some o’ them fel energies, use ‘em fer summat. Would tha’ give us more time ta find ‘nother way?”

She considered it for a long moment. “Possibly. But I don’t see how it would work. You’re so besotted by the Light, there’s no way you could harness the power.”

“Aye, I’ll nae be able ta. I’m knowin tha’. But ye’d be able ta.”

Another long moment of silence.

“Your druid friends won’t like it,” the death knight hazarded cautiously. “Nor your paladin friend, I think. They don’t trust me.” She did not have to add, with good cause.

“I’m knowin that,” the paladin shook her head tiredly. “But ‘tis our best chance, I’m thinkin. I’ll talk ta them ‘bout th’ idea, leastwise.”

The death knight offered a wry grin. “Good luck with that, paladin.” She turned to walk back into the mist.

“Dun ferget yer gauntlet,” Branny shouted after her. A muffled grumbling was the only response.

No comments: